Nasi Goreng Recipe
- 1 tbsp oil
- 5oz/150g chicken breast, halved horizontally (to make 2 thin steaks)
- ½ tbsp kecap manis (ketjap manis) / sweet soy sauce (Note 1)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp red chilli, finely sliced or chopped OR sambal oelak paste (adjust amount to taste)
- ½ onion, diced (brown, white, yellow)
- 3½ cups cooked long grain rice, cooled (Note 2)
- 3 tbsp kecap manis / sweet soy sauce (Note 1)
- 4 eggs
- 1 sliced scallion/shallot stem
- Fried shallots, store bought (optional) (Note 3)
- Cherry tomatoes, halved, slices of cucumber and lime wedges
- Lime wedges
- Chicken: Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Drizzle kecap manis over both sides of the chicken then cook until browned on both sides and cooked through. Remove from skillet, allow to cool slightly then dice.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok (or skillet) over high heat. Add garlic and chilli and cook until fragrant, then add onion. Cook onion until translucent.
- Add rice and kecap manis. Cook, breaking up the rice, until the rice is heated through and the kecap manis has been evenly dispersed and stains the rice brown. Add chicken and stir.
- Transfer rice to a serving platter. Sprinkle with scallions / shallots and fried shallots if using.
- Cook eggs, sunny side up, to your liking (I like them runny!)
- Serve the rice with a fried egg on top with cherry tomatoes, cucumbers and lime wedges on the side.