Candy Caramel Apples Recipe
- you will need a lollipop or wooden treat sticks, parchment paper, and a candy thermometer
- 6 apples (green or red, use your favorite)
- 6 decorative lollipop sticks or wooden treat sticks
- 6 SNICKERS®, 6 TWIX®, or 3 cups M&M’S® Brand Chocolate Candies, finely chopped (or 2 SNICKERS®, 2 TWIX® and 1 cup of M&M’S® Brand Chocolate Candies if you want to make 2 of each)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light-colored corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- Wash and dry apples thoroughly to remove all the wax. Tip – Organic apples work nicely since they do not have any added wax coating.
- Insert lollipop sticks or wooden treat sticks into the stem end of apples; set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Finely chop the SNICKERS®, TWIX®, or M&M’S® Brand Chocolate Candies. You can also make candy crumbs in a food processor. Set crumbs in a small bowl. Leave out a few larger pieces of candy for decorating.
- Fill a large bowl with ice; set aside.
- Heat a medium saucepan over low to medium heat and add the granulated sugar, corn syrup and water. Do not stir, but gently move the sugar and water around with a spoon until the sugar resembles wet sand. Place a candy thermometer into the pot and cook until the caramel is a light golden amber and the candy thermometer registers 230 degrees (soft-ball stage), about 15 to 20 minutes. Do not stir. If there are any splatters of sugar that stick to the sides of the pot, use a clean pastry brush dipped in cold water and brush them down. This will help keep the sugar from crystallizing.
- Turn off the heat. Slowly and carefully (the pot will be hot) whisk in half of the heavy cream (1/4 cup). The mixture will bubble violently so use caution. Stir until smooth and shiny. Return to low heat and continue to cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Place the pot over the bowl of ice and carefully stir in the remaining cream, butter, vanilla, and salt. Stir until completely combined and allow to cool for 3 to 4 minutes. The caramel is the right temperature when it is cool enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Dip the apples into the caramel to coat and allow the excess caramel to drip off.
- Roll in your desired candy topping, place onto the prepared parchment paper, and decorate with larger candy pieces as desired. Let cool for 3 to 4 hours, or until set.