Italien Baked Ziti with Sausage Recipe
- 300g ziti or penne pasta (Note 1)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 onion (brown, white or yellow), finely chopped
- 1lb/500g ground pork (mince) (Note 2)
- 1.4lb / 700g bottle of tomato passata / pureed tomato (Note 3)
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sugar (any type)
- Salt and pepper
- ¾ cup grated mozzarella cheese
Sausage Seasoning (Note 4)
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp paprika (any type – all go great with this)
- 3 tsp red pepper flakes OR 2 tsp cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt (table salt)
- Cook ziti for the recommended cooking time on the packet MINUS 2 minutes. (Note 5) Drain and transfer to baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add pork mince and cook, breaking it up as you go, until it turns from pink to white. Add Sausage Seasonings and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add passata, water, basil, oregano and sugar. Bring to simmer, reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes. Adjust salt and pepper to taste (remember it gets spread across lots of pasta).
- Pour the sausage mixture over the ziti. Top with cheese. Cover loosely with foil and bake for 20 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for a further 5 to 10 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and golden. Stand for 5 minutes before serving.