Shrimp Scampi Pasta with Tomatoes
- 3 T. butter
- 3 T. olive oil
- medium yellow onion, minced
- 8-10 garlic cloves, depending on their size, minced
- 1 – 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb. shrimp, 41-50 count/lb, rails removed
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- red pepper flakes
- capellini/angel hair pasta (I probably used ⅓ of a 1 lbs package)
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- ½ lemon
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. While the butter is melting, fill a large pot with salted water and bring it to a boil.
- Saute the onions and mushrooms in the olive oil/butter until the onions are translucent- add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the shrimp to the skillet, and cook over medium heat until both sides are pink and shrimp is almost cooked through. Add the diced tomatoes (with juice) to the skillet. Stir in the red pepper flakes.
- By this time, the water should be boiling- add the pasta to the water.
- Once the pasta is done, transfer the noodles straight from the boiling water to the skillet. Turn the heat off, squeeze ½ a lemon over the pasta. Toss everything together, including the fresh herbs and parmesan.