Mini Lime Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
For the cupcakes:
- 3-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lime peel
- 1/2 teaspoon neon-green food coloring (found in the baking aisle of grocery store)
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
For the frosting:
- 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1-1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 T. finely grated lime peel
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl and set aside. In a large bowl, beat butter until smooth (we used our stand mixer for this part). Add sugar and beat to blend. Beat in eggs 1 at a time, then the lime juice, lime peel, and food coloring. Batter may look curdled, this is normal for most cake batters at this stage. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk, in 3 additions, letting each addition just mix in before adding the next. Spoon batter into liners (how much depends on the size of you mini cupcake/muffin pans; we advise experimenting with a few first, baking them and seeing how they turn out). Bake cupcakes until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 15-20 minutes. Baking times will vary with pans being different sizes, so make sure to pay close attention. Cool completely, about 30 minutes to an hour.
To make the frosting:
- Beat all ingredients in medium bowl until smooth (again using our stand mixer and the whisk attachment). Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes (if piping, you might want to get a tip like we mention above and maybe the next size up to see which you prefer), or spread it on with a knife. Optional: sprinkle a little fresh lime zest over tops.