Hot Ham and Cheese Pinwheels Recipe
- 1 1/2 C warm water
- 2 T sugar
- 1 T yeast
- 1/2 t salt
- 4-4 1/2 C flour
- 1 pound deli ham, sliced thin
- 2 C cheddar cheese, shredded
- Pour 1 1/2 C warm water into your stand mixer and preheat your oven to 170 degrees. (You read it right…170 degrees is all you need.)
- Add 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 tablespoon yeast. Turn the mixer on low for about 30 seconds allowing the ingredients to combine. Let it rest for 5 minutes, or until it gets all bubbly.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 2 cups flour. Turn the mixer on to low and let the flour mix in. Add the rest of the flour (2 1/2 cups worth) one cup at a time. When the dough pulls itself away from the side of the bowl, you have enough flour.
- Turn the mixer to medium speed and allow it to mix for 5 minutes.
- Spray your counter with cooking spray, divide the dough into two equal parts and allow them to rest on the counter for 5 minutes. Don’t skip this step, ok? If you don’t let the dough rest it won’t roll out nicely and then you might start to cry and then your kids would think you have lost you mind. Thanks for your cooperation.
- After the dough has rested roll the old girl out into a large rectangle.
- Cover it with half of the ham and sprinkle it with 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Roll the dough up starting at the longer end.
- Spray a large knife with cooking spray and slice the roll into 12 rounds.
- Place each pinwheel onto a large cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Repeat steps 6-10 with the other half of the dough.
- Place both pans into your warm 170 degree oven for about 10 minutes, or until they start to rise just a bit. You don’t want them to get super puffy, you just want the dough to have the chance to expand a little, like you see in the picture above.
- Turn the oven up to 350 degrees (don’t take the pans out of the oven) and let the pinwheels bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown along the top and bottom.
- Take the pans out of the oven and let the pinwheels rest for about 5 minutes…then gobble them up.